Latest posts by Roshini (see all)
- Radiant Cooling in INDIA: Real Solutions for Real Problems - September 20, 2019
- 5 common misconceptions surrounding BIM Services - September 17, 2019
- The Complete Holistic IndustrialDesign – Checklist for MEP Engineering Projects - September 16, 2019
Reasons For Moisture Issues In Residential, Commercial And Industrial Designs
Impact of moisture and the resultant damages are very prevalent issues affecting buildings of all types. Be it a residential, commercial or industrial building; nothing is free from the Impact of moisture. The reasons for moisture are various. Hence the analysis of the reason is the first and foremost step required to prevent the consequences. Companies which provide excellent civil engineering design services usually have an efficient team to research about the different reasons for moisture so that they can develop the preventive strategy accordingly.
Depending upon the cause, the type of destruction may vary. So, what are the various reasons for the Impact of moisture and what are the different types of damages? Let’s see in detail!
Laterally penetrating moisture
Due to poor construction of the basement, groundwater may penetrate laterally through the walls. This category of moisture affects those areas of the walls which are directly in contact with the ground.
A very common reason for moisture and mould formation on walls is condensation. In residential buildings, vapours from the kitchen, hot shower baths in bathrooms, etc. are the main reasons for this. Vapour discharge is very common in industrial buildings also. These steam or vapours make the air humid and this humidity, if undischarged, forms moisture layers on walls. The scientific reason behind this is nothing but the condensation of the gas particles.
Impact of moisture due to capillary action
Capillary action is one of the dominant reasons for moisture retention in walls. Most of the generally used construction materials are porous in nature. Hence they can absorb water. Molecular attraction acts between the water and the porous surface and the water move through the surface defying gravity. This penetrating action of water does not take place vertically alone, but horizontally as well.
Exposure to rain
In a country like India, rain is a very common phenomenon. Continuous rains may cause moisture damages on walls. Usually, the construction of exterior walls is done in such a way that the water which gets absorbed during the rain automatically gets diffused into the outer during dry periods. But steady rains coupled with waterproofing faults during construction causes damage to buildings.
Leaky pipes due to plumbing failures are also very common causes of water penetration. If the Impact of moisture is limited to a particular area in your building, then often a leaky pipe underneath may be the reason.
How Do Experts In Civil Engineering Design Services Prevent And Overcome Moisture Issues?
The best method to reduce the damages caused by moisture is to take preventive measures during the construction phase. Here are a few techniques used by building construction experts.
- While constructing the basement, it should be raised well above the ground. The soil used must also be excellently drained and free from water. Ensuring this can prevent foundation moisture to a great extent. This method is widely followed by the industrial architects in India.
- The brick used for construction must be of excellent quality. Do not use any defective pieces.
- The ratio of cement mortar should be perfect. An improper ratio does not allow strong binding.
- Outer walls of buildings must be sufficiently thick so that rainwater does not penetrate into the inner layers of the walls. (Thirty cm or more is the preferred thickness)
- Providing outlets to drain rainwater and prevent clogging.
- Doing some measures for rainwater repulsion from the walls.
- Using Waterproof plastering materials should on outer walls.
- Cavity walls are better to prevent moisture damages when compared to solid walls.
These are just the basic preventive measures. In addition to this, experienced builders make use of various effective treatments and techniques to overcome moisture damages.
Choose The Right Building Design Services And Say Bye To Water Damages!
As evident from the above discussions, proper care during the construction phase can prevent or at least reduce the damages caused due to moisture. The measures should start right from the foundation to achieve the best results. You need not worry if the construction of your building was not done implementing the right techniques, an experienced engineer would be able to do the same in the renovation phase as well. So, whether you are going for a new construction or renovation, make sure you assign the task to the right professionals so that you need not regret later.