Latest posts by Roshini (see all)
- Flooring – An essential component of a Industrial building - August 23, 2019
- Why Do We needSustainable Industrial Development ? - August 22, 2019
- Project Closeout: A Detailed Plan for this Phase - August 20, 2019
The structures consist of the most permanent elements in buildings. Hence the architectural choices and the structural engineering design has a significant effect on the building’s impact on the environment. Also, once the design is underway, it is difficult to alter it and hence it is necessary that the structural engineers are also involved in the early model. That will ensure that the building is not only elegant, cost-effective and sustainable.
How can structural engineering consultants contribute?
No demolition drive: The structural engineering design should be done in such a way that the materials used in the buildings can be separated and detached instead of being demolished. The materials used should be disassembled rather than destroyed. The disassembly should be selected so that the elements that are in excellent condition can be reused in other construction activities. The same practice is followed in other industries like automobiles and is not a new concept. There are many examples of reuse of steel, aluminum, concrete is also recycled and used as a filler. The rapid development of technology in this industry will further help in disassembly.
Recycle waste: Structural design consultants are finding ways to reuse, recycle and reproduce in the construction industry. Also, there is a need to merge these and share these resources. For example, urban waste that is available in landfills can be used as a resource for the design of architectural products. There is a need for people to realize that waste is also a useful resource.
Reconsider production: There is a lot of effort to reduce the amount of waste generated in the construction sector, for this, there is a need to rethink the design used in manufacturing components. There is a need for structural engineering companies to use the manufacturing technologies in a better and efficient way to reduce the inefficiency. Also, asset management and maintenance of buildings must also be considered when waste management is though. The building’s condition should be monitored as it is difficult to disassemble when the building’s life cycle has reached its end.
Sustainable Materials that structural engineering companies should use
• Earthbags: Polypropylene bags filled with inorganic materials and subsoil are called earthbags. The design of these bags ensures that there is excellent stability against earthquakes opines structural engineering consultants in Kochi. Wires and mesh are used to connects with the bads and create friction and resistance between bags.
• Trombe Walls: These are external walls are made of glass or plastic panes, and the internal can absorb heat. There is air separation between the internal and external walls. The heat that is consumed during the day is transferred to the buildings through vents during the night. It is a replacement for wood and other traditional fuel.
• CEB: Also known as the compressed Earth block is a mixture of clay, waste and dry subsoil. All these are compressed with a machine press or compactor at high pressure. They have strength more than the cement blocks and are sustainable as they have fewer carbon emissions. The construction time for CEB’s is less as the slurry is used for bonding instead of cement. These blocks provide insulation, and there is no need for advanced technology to manufacture them.